Monday, April 22, 2013

Thrifty Tip #3 Cleaning Wipes

Thrifty Tip #3

Make your own "Cleaning Wipes"

 
I have a confession.... I am a cleaner junkie! I love buying cleaners. Many women have shoe, clothing or handbag addictions. Not me! I love to buy cleaners and cleaning products. I currently own 3 vacuums, 4 different types of mops, 2 steamers and an endless supply of cleaning agents.

I guess I am on an endless hunt, searching for the latest and greatest product that will make my life easier. I just love the smell of cleaners.... except for plain bleach. That one makes me gag. There is just something in the smell of a good cleaner. I have cleaners for the bathroom, the kitchen, the floor, dusting, etc... No matter what store I am in I enjoy perusing the cleaning aisle!

There are many, many blogs, articles and more about making your own cleaners and the benefits of doing so. I have tried to make several different types of cleaners. I have been happy with some and disappointed with others. I have found that most homemade cleaners just don't clean as well or smell as good as I would prefer. I do realize that all those chemicals are not healthy for the family, and yet, I have trouble using a homemade product that just doesn't get the job done!

Being a pinterest junkie, I am constantly finding new cleaners to try or to make homemade. I came across this cleaning wipe recipe and have never looked back. If you want to read the original blog and why she chose to use these particular ingredients follow this link: Living on a Dime

For this recipe you will need:
old rags
an empty wipes container (store bought cleaning wipes or baby wipes work well)
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
2 TB Dawn dish soap (I have found that the original blue works best for cutting grease, however if you use one of the others you can choose a fragrance)
1 cup water
container for mixing (I have found a larger size liquid measuring cup works great and makes it easier to pour)

Fill up your empty wipes container with the old rags.... just stuff as many in there as you possibly can!
Then mix the rubbing alcohol, Dawn dish soap and water. Stir gently as you don't want to create too many bubbles. After the solution is mixed, pour over rags in your wipes container. Pour SLOWLY as it will take time for the solution to soak into the rags and you don't want it to overflow all over your counter! (Ask me how I know this....) Now put the wipes in your cleaning cupboard for when you need them!

That's it! Easy, right? And they are great for cleaning just about everything!!! We use them for wiping down the bathrooms, counters, sticky spills, wiping off door handles and light switches (a chore my kids do weekly) and so much more!!!

For the most part, these are reusable. We have a bucket just for the used rags and then I wash them in HOT water and make new ones. If the job is a really gross one, such as cleaning up poop, I make sure to use one of the holy socks that are in the container and we just throw it away when we are finished.

This cleaning wipes solutions is pennies to make and yet saves you from buying the real thing which can be as much as $9.00 per container. HUGE savings!

I hope you try these cleaning wipes and love them as much as I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment